
I guess you could say that I have joined operation STMT(for those of you who don't know what this is, it's stop the muffin top; as in the way I look when I put my pants on) I went running with Melissa and Hannah at 6:30 this morning, and I'm so out of shape. I'm pretty sure that my pregnancy was the period of least physical activity I've ever had in my life! No wonder I feel so old and tired all the time, ha ha.
So I'm a morning person, I like to sleep when it's dark outside(weird huh?) and I like to wake up early and get things done. However, that doesn't mean I've been doing that since Ammon was born. Matt can testify that I've basically been a zombie for the last 6 months when he goes to work in the morning. But we've set a goal to wake up every morning at 7 and study scriptures and have prayer together. We were really good for a few days and then I got tired...so yesterday Melissa invited me to go running with her and Hannah, so I went to bed early(early for Matt, on time for me:)) last night so that I would be able to wake up. I ran with them and almost died!!! Lol, well, I guess that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I was reminded why I hate running outside: the air flying past my ears(because you see, I'm faster than a speeding bullet) makes them hurt which gives me a headache, which then makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Matt was sweet and kept telling me how proud he was of me to start doing this and reminded me that it would get easier. After about 30 minutes I felt more normal and could handle thinking about doing it again. Pretty pathetic huh?
Anyway, to get to my point in writing all this, Heavenly Father taught me another principle today which is where my "principle of the day" came from: I tend to do this in all areas of my life, when I want to improve something I want to be perfect right from the start so I do more than I can handle and then get overwhelmed and can't keep up with it. I was reminded of a talk by Elder Oaks who spoke at a Ces Fireside a few years ago about being 100% saints 100% of the time and not go through periods of doing 150% and then times of 50% "what we need “is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime”. This is a challenge that I think I will deal with my entire life, but it helps to be reminded, that if I go at a steady, but sure pace; not pushing myself with exercising too hard the first day, not cramming my schedule and then sleeping the whole next day, For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon aprecept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn bwisdom; for unto him that creceiveth I will give dmore. (2 Ne 28:30).
And like the scriptures in my principle of the day, if I endure at a steady and sure pace, I will win the prize. I'm so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who is merciful enough to remind me that I don't have to be perfect and that he will help me be better as I do my best everyday.
1 comment:
All us perfectionists need a reminder to slow down once in a while. I have to remind myself at least once a day that I don't have to do everything RIGHT NOW and that I don't have to be perfect at everything!
Post a Comment