Sunday, July 27, 2008

Marathon


On Monday night, Matt and I challenged each other to read the Book of Mormon in a week. Matt had read it in five days when he was 14 and that's when he got his answer from Heavenly Father that the Book of Mormon is true and that this is the true gospel. I am a little ashamed to admit that I have actually only read the Book of Mormon all the way through like maybe 2 or 3 times. I have always felt like I have had pretty good knowledge of the scriptures, but there were just a lot of times that I started at 1 Nephi chapter 1 and dwindled after a while...

So I was wondering if I would be able to do it because when Matt did it, all he did was eat, read, and sleep. I had to clean the house, take care of Ammon, and fix meals. Not to mention the fact that this week was pioneer day and I had to run errands. And Matt had to go to work everyday. But I felt like it was something I needed to do so we figured out how many pages we would need to read everyday: 76 pages a day to finish it in 7 days...

So far, it's been an amazing experience. We have about a day and a half left. I have learned so much, it has felt similar to my going through the temple for the first time before Matt and I got married. There is so much to learn!!!! And Joseph Smith's testimony is amazing. What President Hinckley promised about a greater portion of the spirit being in our lives and home is so true!!! But one thing I've definitely learned is how much I DON'T know, ha ha. But that's what's so awesome about the gospel: there is always more to learn and Heavenly Father really wants to give us more. I've come to realize how merciful the Lord is and how grateful I am for Nephi, Mormon, Ammon(of course), Moroni, and all of the prophets throughout the ages that were obedient in recording their teachings and the history of their people. So our goal is to finish tomorrow night. So that's why I haven't posted anything for a week. We've been reading like crazy people!!!!!

3 comments:

Megan said...

i had better hear from you! because i want to know how you do. i can't even imagine finding the time in my day to read 76 pages. i really hope you did well.

i am reminded of when president hinckley challenged everyone to read the book of mormon awhile back and waht an amazing exprience that was. thanks for sharing you exprience and i expect to hear about how you did :)

Shauna said...

Wow! What a feat! I totally agree with the limitless knowledge the scriptures contain. No matter how many times I read the B of M, I learn something new every time.

Melissa E Photography said...

You rock, Kathie! Really, I think that is so incredible that you're doing this. It takes a lot of discipline!

Way to go!