Friday, November 14, 2008

Expiration Dates

Sometimes even I am shocked at my uncanny ability to forget things.

The other day I was doing something online that required me to look at my driver's license. The date issued, and the date it expired....Guess when mine expired? March 28, 2008!!!!!

Last year after I got married I went in, paid the $25, took the eye test, got a new picture, and changed the address to get my new license. Now I can't blame the Driver's License Division COMPLETELY even though they never sent out a renewal form in the mail because I did know last year that I would need to renew my license when I turned 21 in March of this year. But we always want a scapegoat right?

Well, I found this out on Monday, which just so happened to be Veteran's Day, therefore, the place was closed. I called and the automated system explained that if you have a license that has been expired for 6 months or more, you may have to take the written test again.....Can I just say that I REALLY REALLY REALLY did not want to take that test? Luckily I have a great mother-in-law who picked me up Tuesday after she got off work and drove me out to West Valley to renew my blasted license. She took care of Ammon and I tried to think of something I could say to get out of taking the test. My number was called after maybe 15-20 minutes of waiting and I walked over to the elderly man at the desk. I started explaining about getting married etc. etc. and he interrupted me by saying "don't worry, I'll take care of you". He looked up my driving record and said "you have a perfect record, why should you have to retake the test?" Talk about a tender mercy. It was getting close to time to nurse Ammon and his attention was wearing thin sitting still with Grandma Sue. I am sooooo grateful that I didn't have to take that test, and for that nice old man that made my day.

2 comments:

meg said...

Kathie, you little illegal driver you! I had to renew mine this year too. Kinda funny how we drive around every day but when it comes to taking a test about it we panic... I was online taking the practice test, and then didn't even have to take it when I renewed. Not that I'm complaining... anyway, good job on not getting pulled over and having the cop tell you your license was expired, though that would have made for a good entry too. heehee

Melissa E Photography said...

Ah, MAN I would have failed that test. YAY for not having to retake it!

It was so fun talking to you on Thursday night. I'm so glad you understand my insanity! :)