Monday, March 8, 2010

Presenting....

Abigail Rose Case
February 26, 2010 at 10:39 pm
6 lbs 14 oz. 20 in. long
If Matt and I look a little tired, we are. This was about 2 am...


In the nursery getting her pku and biliruben done.

Lots of vernix! The nurses called her "cheesy"
We were so happy when we found out that Ammon would be able to come to the hospital- I didn't think he would be able to because of the swine flu visitor restrictions, but because he's a sibling he could! Hooray!
Big brother Ammon giving her kisses.

These pictures don't accurately portray how tiny she is!!!! I couldn't believe she was only under 7 lbs! Ammon was 9lbs 4 oz!! She's so tiny, and so perfect.

When she first came out and they got her semi-cleaned up, they put her on my chest and she started rooting right away! She was lifting up her head and trying to move around, it was an amazing experience! She's so strong, she already has tremendous head control and rolls over on her side to sleep:)
Her going home outfit. Isn't she just the cutest?

I had been having contractions(braxton hicks) since I was 5 months along, but they got stronger that last week. Every day I would have them very consistently for periods throughout the day. I had my 39 week appt on Friday, the 26th, and the night before I woke up several times with stronger contractions. I woke up, got ready for the day, took Matt to work, ran to walmart and headed off to the dr. all the while having contractions no more than 10 minutes apart. My dr. "stripped my membranes"(sorry if it's too much information for some) and told me to keep walking around because I was dilated to about a 3 and 50% effaced. She also told me that if my contractions stayed 5 minutes apart for more than an hour to just come in. I came home and my mom and I decided to run some errands to keep things going. I ate lunch at my parents(I brought Ammon's bag in case he needed to stay at my mom's), and the contractions grew a little stronger, though I could still walk and talk through them.

After about 3 hours of contractions that were 3-5 minutes apart I decided I should go in. I called Matt and we left for the hospital, although it was wierd because I wasn't in that much pain, my back just hurt! I went to triage to be evaluated and she said that I should walk around and she would check me in an hour. I walked that whole hour!!!!! I did NOT want to go home! Well, it worked, I had dilated enough to stay, and boy was I grateful. They came and broke my water which REALLY made my contractions get worse. I think I last until I was about a 6 or 7 before I asked for the epidural. It was more painful and uncomfortable than I remember it being with Ammon; although, I was much more present mentally this time.

Once I got the epidural, my legs went numb but I was still feeling the pain of the contractions. I was SO worried that the dr. would have to redo it, but thankfully all he had to do was put an extra dose in the iv. I, of course, got light headed from the epidural when I had to move to relieve discomfort in my back, so I got to wear the lovely oxygen mask. After that, things progressed quite smoothly. Something I didn't think would happen because I had the epidural did. I could feel the urge to push! I knew Abbie had descended low enough and that it was time to start pushing, it was the coolest thing!

It took about 10 minutes of pushing and Abbie was born-she was face up until the last, which explains my back labor and why it took me longer to dilate. It was such a welcome thing to hear her screaming, because Ammon didn't really cry. It was also so wonderful to be able to hold her and keep her with me! What a blessing after Ammon was whisked away after about 10 seconds. I got to hold her as they took me up to recovery and she stayed with us the rest of the time except for getting the pku, biliruben, and hearing tests done. I'm so grateful to Heavenly Father for blessing us with such a special experience, and to have that time as a little family in a quiet room together.

We were able to be discharged the next evening around 7, so we were just there a little over 24 hours, and it was good to be home in our comfortable house. We have been so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends to help out with meals, cleaning, and time to rest. Thank you to everyone who gave of their time to bring a meal, come visit and share their love, or watch Ammon so I could stay in bed. I am especially grateful to my wonderful husband Matt who was amazing! He started getting sick the day she was born, and it only got worse, but he kept the house clean, brought me my meals, and took care of Ammon, all while being sick. I love you Matt!

It has been such a wonderful experience and we are so happy to have Abbie here. I am also so happy to not be pregnant anymore! I have more to write, but this is already long enough, so I do another post soon.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! And congrats on 10 minutes of pushing, that's awesome!

Hannah S said...

Congratulations Kathie! yay for not being prego anymore!

meg said...

I'm so happy that you guys were able to have such a happy experience this time, and probably even more grateful for it because of all that happened with Ammon. It really seemed like Abigail came so seamlessly [sometimes I forgot you were pregnant because everything was business as usual] and like she was always here. Welcome Abigail. Love you guys!

J and T said...

Kathie,

My email has been funny, and I wanted to make sure you go my last message. Fast Sunday is the week after Easter and General Conference. Hope all is well. Still no baby for us (can you believe it?), but hopefully today!

Tara

Lar said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy that she is here and that things went smoothly!