Monday, March 9, 2009

Note: There are several posts from today, if you have time...check them out!

Emergency Room visit:
This past weekend was quite the experience. Thursday afternoon I started feeling nauseous. It was a little better when I sat down, or laid down. It got worse as the evening wore on, and soon I had the nasty stomach flu. That is seriously the worst kind of sickness for me that I have experienced. I will admit that I whine and complain too much no matter what I have, but feeling like I'm going to gag constantly is just the worst. Anyway, don't want to make anyone sick by just reading this. Needless to say, I was going to the bathroom for one reason or another a lot and I was miserable! Matt was so great to keep Ammon occupied and fed and put to bed while I was on the floor or the bed, or whatnot. At 10:30 Matt called my dad and asked him to come over and give me a blessing. So he dropped everything and came over. I think I had a fever, because I had the chills and I piled blanket on the bed, put a hoodie on, and had the heating pad on my stomach and was still shivering until I fell asleep around 11. At 12:30 I woke up suddenly in a sweat and a panic. I had to get to the bathroom but I couldn't move because I was so hot and dizzy. I tried calling to Matt for help, and I thought that I had managed to get the words "help!" and "hot!" out, but apparently not. Matt flew out of the bed and helped me up to get me to the bathroom(good thing I had a bowl by the bed)-sorry if this is too much information! and I made it as far as the other side of the bed and collapsed. Poor Matt was terrified. He said that heat was radiating from me so he managed to pull the hoodie and shirt off my sweatie body and turned the fan on in front of me. He says that when I passed out, my arms stiffened in front of me and I started to shake. From my point of view, it felt like I just kept going in and out of conciousness. After I woke up, I couldn't move because it made my stomach turn and made me dizzy, and that lasted probably about 30-40 minutes I think. Matt called my mom, his mom and the hospital and we decided I should go because I couldn't drink anything and Sue thought I was dehydrated. Dave and Dan came over for Dave to stay here with Ammon, and Dan came to give Matt moral support and to help carry me if needed(I really need to lose some weight I guess, lol.) So they carried me down the stairs and to the car and we drove to the hospital.

They took some blood tests and an ekg in case the cause of my passing out was due to an irregular heart beat, and then did some blood pressure tests. Taking blood pressue when lying flat, then when sitting, then when standing, gives them an idea how dehydrated a person is. When I got to the standing test, I didn't even last long enough for the test to finish. The nurse said "well you failed that test miserably". Based on that they hooked me up to an IV and gave me fluids and some nausea medicine. It turns out that's all I needed, because I felt much better after that. We got home around 5 am and went to sleep. I am so grateful for our family who was so willing to help out. My dad, Dan, Dave, and Janelle and Sue who helped out with Ammon the next day. Matt ended up staying home from work to take care of Ammon so I could get some sleep, and I am so glad he did.

Saturday:

Saturday morning, my sister went through the temple, and it was a great experience for me. Matt and I were able to go, although there was much opposition: I had been sick, Celeste just had her wisdom teeth out and she was going to take care of Ammon, my dad got sick the night before, and Daniel was sick, so we were nervous to take Ammon over there, but decided that we needed and wanted to be there for Sharon. We slept in a little but made it to my parents to pick my weak, and still recovering dad up to go to the temple. When we were about halfway there, my dad realized he didn't have his wallet with him, so we turned back to get it. By the time we got to the temple, got dressed and got to the chapel, the last of the group was just leaving. We barely made the session! I have never experienced so much opposition trying to get to the temple before, but I know we had angels watching over us as we drove through the unusually thick traffic at 9 am on a Saturday morning. Sharon was beautiful and it was wonderful.

2 comments:

Rach said...

I can't believe you went through all that! I'm glad that is "just" dehydration, if you know what I mean.

meg said...

What an ordeal... that is so crazy that Bailee, you, Dave and yes, now me, have had stomach flu stuff, but we haven't even been around each other that much it seems! Sounds like you had the worst, though. Poor Matt, too. I'm sure he was pretty freaked out. Glad you guys are doing better and that's wonderful for Sharon that she could have her sister there!