Friday, August 21, 2009

Seek ye out of the best books...

I have started reading the Work and the Glory series, and I feel like these are one of those great books that help me to learn and grow. Although it is historical fiction I have gained a greater understanding and profound appreciation for the faith and sacrifices of the early saints, and a firm testimony that Joseph Smith is the prophet of the restoration. I have also had a goal to read the Doctrine and Covenants this year, and reading these books along with my study of D&C has helped me to better understand the context of the revelations and instruction received. After I finish this series I want to try to tackle the history of the church books to learn more.

I am so excited about what I have learned. My knowledge and testimony of the early days of the restored church has always been lacking until now. Of course my knowledge is still very limited, I feel the spirit burning in my heart with the testimonies of those that gave so much to obey the Lord in the restoration. My mom and Matt can testify that that has been the subject of much conversation as of late. Anyway, enough with my ramblings, I just love learning!

2 comments:

meg said...

Those books are so great. When we were first married, Jason was really reluctant to read them. Sadly, they have a negative stigma among some, as like a lazy way to learn about church history or something. Eventually I did persuade him to read them and he really enjoyed them. I have so much appreciation for all the research Gerald Lund did to write the Work and the Glory. What an accomplishment, a wonderful tribute to all those who lived at that time, and a blessing to us now!

Sharon said...

I'm so glad you've had such a great experience with those books. It took me awhile to get to the point where I was interested, but having read the series now 7 or 8 times, I will say with conviction that each time I read them my testimony of Joseph Smith and others among the early Saints is reinforced. It's great to know how thoroughly researched it all is, and that whether it's lazy or not (I can accept that if it is), it's taught a lot of people things that they likely wouldn't have otherwise known. Now I'm rambling...