Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chiropractor?

Yesterday amidst the loveliness of being out of our home, Matt's great dad willingly drove Matt to work so that I would have the car to drive home once the heater was fixed(we were told for sure by yesterday). On their way they were rear-ended by an 18 year old girl with quite a "colorful" vocabulary. Of course, going 55, they both had some whiplash and resulting pain in the back and neck. Dave and Sue have a chiropractor who is in their ward and he graciously offered to treat them last night after hours to get it taken care of quickly(and, fortunately car insurance covers chiropractic care following a car accident very well). We went last night and he adjusted them and did a little bit of shock therapy, and had them lay on a "roller bed"? I don't remember the name. Anyway, Matt's doing great today and has no pain.(There is a possibility of some latent whiplash pain)

I am grateful for a mother-in-law who is not afraid to speak her mind or make suggestions, because, due to her suggestion I am so much more comfortable now! She said aloud in front of the chiropractor that perhaps he could help me with my restless legs. In my ignorance I said it's probably not good to be adjusted during pregnancy. Humble(the chiropractor) said that he actually has women 9 mos. coming in to him all the time and that restless legs can result from pinched nerves. He also explained that during pregnancy, all of the joints loosen up and so things can get out of wack easily. He said he had 5 minutes and that it was on him. He checked for mobility in my back and discovered that my left hip was much higher than the right one.(I have had some painful sciatic problems off and on since my pregnancy with Ammon). He adjusted that and went on to check my neck. He asked if I had been having headaches.....YES! I cried, "all day everyday!" He adjusted my neck and guess what? no headache today! As I sat up I was surprised by the feeling of sitting on both hips equally! My lower back has been getting more and more sore lately, especially when I would hold Ammon, and today it feels great!

Sometimes you don't realize how uncomfortable or in pain you are until it's fixed! I just figured my discomfort was normal and that there really wasn't anything I could do about it. I was happily proven wrong!

2 comments:

meg said...

OH WOW - I am so happy for you! That is so great. Sad that Matt had to be adjusted, but glad that something wonderful came out of it! That is amazing! Chiropractic care is interesting... I should make more time for it. Thanks for sharing.

Tiff Keetch said...

Oh girl - I don't think I knew about your discomfort or I would have sent you in that direction. Adjustments saved me especially in the last months of pregnancy. I'm glad you're feeling better!