The party was fun, and Ammon sure was spoiled. He loves all of his gifts and plays with them all the time. I am very grateful to everyone that took the time to come and celebrate with us. Thank you! At first, he wouldn't eat his cake, he wanted me to spoon feed him, but after he got used to the new stuff on his tray, he picked it up and loved it. And, of course, broke out in hives....More to come about that.
For Christmas, my parents gave Ammon a Thomas the Train book. I was gone one day for a couple of hours and while Matt was in charge of Ammon, he built him a train! I never would have thought of doing something like this. This is one reason dad's are so great! Ammon loved it, and loved being pushed around pressing the fun buttons.
Ammon is officially into everything he can manage to get into. I bought cupboard locks, but they don't work with our cupboards, so I just have to keep telling him no, try to redirect him and move him somewhere else. He can open drawers and even cupboards that have magnets keeping them shut. He especially likes the movie drawers. It can be frustrating telling him those aren't his toys over and over, but I really like this stage. He's fun to play with, he's starting to cuddle more, and he's just so happy almost all of the time.
His reactions aren't very severe(just hives so far) but the allergist still prescribed an epipen. She said it's better to overtreat than undertreat, and be prepared if he does have a more severe reaction. Depending on the blood test results, we may be able to give Ammon baked foods with eggs, such as muffins, rolls, etc. For like 6 months and then test more, but definitely no french toast, scrambled eggs, stuff like that. She also explained that often with children if they just don't eat something for a long time that they're allergic to, their body forgets it's allergic and has grown out of it. So I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed, but I guess we'll see in a year if anything has changed.
That was kind of an emotional day for me, but it is also nice to know exactly what he's allergic to from a test. So we're introducing our families to the epipen and teaching them how not to stab themselves. Fun stuff!
6 comments:
those pictures make me all sad inside =( poor little ammon. oh and i cannot believe he is wearing size 3 diapers haha... kaleb is in 4's... we could barely fit the 3's on him. *sigh* my little chunky monkey. anyways i think the legos are cute! i am so not creative like that. lol.
I'm so, so sorry. And, not surprisingly, I completely understand. We're hoping that Matthew will outgrow the egg and milk allergies, but not planning on it because we don't want to get our hopes up and then be disappointed. Depending on how his blood work comes back, I can teach you everything I have discovered about baking without eggs. It can be done!
Oh, Kathie! Ammon is the most adorable thing in the entire world, and I'm so glad that I can claim him as my nephew! :) I loved the train that Matt made! And I liked the picture of Ammon by the fridge where he's looking at you like, "Um, I didn't just do that. I'm being good." :)
Those allergy pictures are heartbreaking! Poor kid!
It's so hard to find out things are going to be different than we imagined (and not any easier either!) Those pictures tug at my "mommy heart" as Jason says. Those long appointments are no fun. We love you guys - let us know how we can help!
What a brave boy!
Post a Comment