Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Promised myself I would never let this happen....

Once upon a time I went grocery shopping. I was very pleased with myself because I planned out healthy meals, got lots of yummy healthy food, and then came the time to load it into the car. Ammon was being such a good boy even though we spent longer than usual in the store and was as happy as could be. I put him in his carseat, threw the keys over onto the front seat and shut Ammon's door........

Guess what?

The doors were locked!

My keys were on the front seat, all the car doors were closed and locked and Ammon was inside the car!!!! I almost started to cry! The Lord really does watch out for me, because if He didn't, I think I would be dead right now. I am usually so careful about keeping my keys with me and making sure I NEVER did this! I must have been distracted with the groceries....Stupid..........

Anyway, luckily, I still had my cell phone with me so I called Matt, who's work, very mercifully is like 3 minutes away from Macey's, and he was able to borrow a car and come to rescue us. I am SO grateful that we weren't anywhere farther away. I am also grateful that it didn't even phase Ammon. He just sat in his seat smiling at me like he does when I fill the car up with gas.

I PROMISED MYSELF RIGHT AFTER THAT THAT I WOULD ALWAYS KEEP MY KEYS WITH ME AND USE MY BRAIN!!!

9 comments:

Dave said...

All's well that ends well. That could have been REALLY scary! I'm glad that all 3 of you handled it appropriately.

Love,

Dave

MamaSue said...

So, now you need to teach Ammon the words,"push the button!" That way you won't have to call Matt. That way he will never need to know. Ha Ha. Sue

Sarah Titus Jones said...

I have a fear of doing that myself. Don't feel too bad, all mommies have those kinds of moments.

meg said...

It's hard to keep promises with your brain... sometimes brains just don't keep their part of the bargain, you know? But yes, I have become paranoid about where my keys are when I'm out and about. I'll be walking down an aisle in the store and suddenly think "MY KEYS!" and then check my purse really quick, even though I know they are there. Paranoia, I know. It's my way of life. Survival, really.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my club where only distracted, forgetful, and scatter-brained people can join!! I'm the president, the vice president, the secretary, and the treasurer. You'll have to prove yourself worhty of membership before you can be an officer, so don't get your hopes up too high. I think my total of locking my keys in my car is up to about 7 times now, which makes me quite qualified for my positions in the club. I have never locked my child in the car, but that's only because I don't have a child. I'm sure it will happen when I do. Again, welcome to my club, and I hope you enjoy it.

Hannah S said...

Scary! Did you know that if you call the cops, they usually bail you out (for free) when you have a child in the car. Of course, then they'll wonder why you did it and then you'd have to explain your innconcence....lalalala.

Shauna said...

Losing one's mind is an inevitable part of motherhood. Unfortunately, it seems to get worse as the number of children increases. Seriously, I walk around brainless all the time and then wonder why my life feels so chaotic. But take heart! Every mother everywhere in the world completely understands (and half of them have had to call the police for just such occurrences). :-)

Lar said...

I am grateful that I have never done that, but I was always worried about doing it cuz I used to do it a lot, so I taught my kids at a young age (probably not as young as Ammon) how to unlock the door. Don't you just love all the things that your brain forgets, no matter how hard you try to remember them?

Tiff Keetch said...

How scary!!! I hope I never do that either!!