Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Tribute to Parents

I feel so blessed to have the parents that I have. I look up to and respect them, and love them dearly. They are so supportive and so willing to help out whenever possible. I love talking to my mom on the phone about anything and nothing and I love visiting with my dad whenever I go to their house. They are both terrific grandparents who love Ammon so much and I'm very grateful that they are involved in his life. I am grateful for the testimonies of my mom and dad and for their examples of faith and trusting in the Lord in all things, they have taught me much. I have always had a special closeness to my mom, I think I would hold her hand until I was like 10 years old. She has always put her children before herself, and I am so appreciative of her availability to help me and support me in my activities growing up. I loved sitting across the counter talking with her watching her cook. She has taught me well, and I hope that I can show the love and devotion to my husband and children and she has shown to hers. I love talking to my dad, he has great wisdom and great love for his children. He has taught me more about the character of our Father in Heaven as a father because of his example of love and mercy. He has been a profound example of remaining steadfast in the face of affliction without murmering. He also makes me laugh a lot which is wonderful.

Since being married, I have been blessed to have two additional parents. I have so enjoyed coming to know and love Dave and Sue, and not as in-laws, but as another mom and another dad. I liked them from the start, but obviously it has taken time as I came to know them better to trust them as I trust my own parents. I respect them both, and love them as my own parents and I feel priviledged to be one of their daughters. I didn't know them very well at all by the time Matt and I were married, but they treated me as part of the family from the start. I remember the first time Dave expressed that he does not say daughters-in-law, because we are his daughters. That has always meant so much to me. Dave and Sue have been through a lot together,(raising 4 crazy boys ;) )and I admire them for the lives they live. Sue is full of energy and life and is always up for having fun. She has taught me to relax and to "never waste a worry". She has her priorities straight, and that has helped me a lot in my efforts to establish a balance in my own life. She is always willing to help out wherever she can, especially with her family, and that means a lot as well. Ever since I have known her, Sue has been slow to anger and quick to love. She makes me happy, and I love to spend time with her. I have come to respect and love Dave as he quietly shares his wisdom and insights. I am grateful for His testimony and for his willingness to let all us kids spend day after day at his house amid lots of chaos. I am grateful for the power of his example over his boys. I am grateful that he is the patriarch of his family. I look upon Dave and Sue as my own parents and I am so grateful to have twice as much support and love.

It is my hope that I can take what I have learned from both sets of parents and strive to apply those principles in my everyday life and with my growing family.

Thank you moms and dads, I love you all forever!

1 comment:

Randy said...

Kathie,

First, thank you SOOOOO much for adding me to your blog. I am very excited to be able to keep tabs on you guys and see how little Ammon is doing.

Second, I don't know your parents, but they sound like great people and they sure did a great job raising you. You are blessed.

Third, I do know Dave and Sue. I have known them for probably 14 years now. They are the real deal. Never once have they ever done anything that would make me question their integrity or honesty. I am very good friends with all of their boys and as such have spent a lot of time in their home. So, like you, I feel it is one of my greatest blessings to be associated with them and to benefit from their love and example.